As Catholic Christians, we experience Jesus in the Word, the Eucharist, and one another as the Body of Christ – especially amongst people who are poor and vulnerable. The Bible teaches us, the Eucharist nourishes us when we come together to partake in the sacred meal, and we go out into the world strengthened to love and serve others. Participation in the social mission of the Church is the responsibility of every baptized Christian and is one aspect of living out our baptismal call to renew the world. Therefore, let us be the salt of the earth and light of the world and reach out to the peripheries to ensure that charity and justice reign in society!
Christian Service Commission:
The Christian Service Commission exists as a mechanism for the entire community to take action on behalf of justice and participate in the transformation of the world into the Kingdom of God. This goal is carried out through prayer, education, direct service of the poor and vulnerable, and advocating for justice and peace. The Commission seeks to integrate God’s call to justice into every aspect of parish and personal life, including liturgy, faith formation, family, work, community life, and legislation. Opportunities to put our faith into action through Christian Service are many and varied, and include:
- Organizing prayer services, donation drives, and opportunities for direct service of the poor and vulnerable.
- Planning educational opportunities for parishioners to grow in their understanding of Catholic Social teaching and social justice issues.
- Providing opportunities for parishioners to advocate against unjust social structures, institutions, laws and systems.
- Prayerful discernment regarding the distribution of tithing monies in accordance with the social mission of the Church.
- Developing content for a Christian Service newsletter and the weekly bulletin.
• Clearly understand the distinction between charity (social service) and justice (social change).
• Commitment to changing unjust social structures, institutions, laws and systems, addressing the root causes of injustice, and serving all who are in need of immediate help.
• Ability to seek common ground when discussing solutions among groups or individuals that disagree.
• Conflict Management
• Strategic Planning
Opportunities for involvement include:
- Christian Service Commission- core members meet monthly on the second Tuesday of the Month from 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Tithing Committee- Core members meet monthly on the second Tuesday of the Month from 6 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Life, Justice, and Peace Committee – Core members meet monthly (date to be determined)
For more information please contact Sam Jennings at email@example.com